Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Beginning

Well...here it goes! For New Years we made about 1000 resolutions (or so it seems) and one of them happened to be starting a blog. I realize it is a little past new years, but there isn't too much to write about when you are just hang in out in De Queen all day. So, now we are finally in Australia, starting a new chapter in our lives which I guess means time to blog!

We left the States on February 14th (our five years together anniversary) and 30 hours later we were finally in Carrum Downs, Australia, our new home until sometime in September. Andi did great on the flight, but the day after we got here she was super fussy. I think she was too tired to sleep and she was letting us all know that she wasn't happy about it. She has been much better today though, back to her happy and calm self- thank goodness!

So far we have done a little bit of exploring and a lot of resting. We went to the beach yesterday, it was beautiful! I can't wait to get to go back and actually swim and lay out, I have been missing the warm weather.  We also finally got the courage to brave the roads today and went a whole mile down to the grocery store! It is just so weird to drive on the left. We are just thankful that the car in an automatic so that we don't have to learn to shift left-handed too, it was bad enough with Matt turning on the windshield wipers on every turn instead of the blinkers!

It may sound strange, but the grocery store is usually one of the biggest challenges I face when we move somewhere new. In Germany I had a meltdown trying to shop the first time, it can just be so overwhelming when something as basic as food is sooo different. Thankfully it wasn't as bad today. At least now everything is in English and pretty similar. I couldn't find everything I wanted, but did find substitutes for most things. The worst part is the prices! I feel like I am back in Luxembourg. I had to go without a few things, the worst being COFFEE!!! Sad day! The only kind of coffee I could find was instant which I was prepared to deal with, until I saw the price....$13 dollars for some instant coffee! Wow, I don't think so. I may regret this decision later and cave in, but I couldn't do it today.

I guess I should talk about basketball too since that is why we are here...Matt has started practicing with the team, so far so good. He likes everyone a lot. They are going on a retreat thing this weekend at a beach so I'm sure there will be some male-bonding. His regular schedule will start next week (morning weights and individual workouts, evening practices, and coached a under 20 team) so I guess we will get a feel for what this season will be like then.

Anyway, enough for now...

7 comments:

  1. Looking forward to following your adventures. From the pictures, it looks amazing. If you can procure a grinder, we can send you bags of starbucks beans from Costco. Love you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you started your blog! I agree that the most difficult thing is shopping. Food, prices and even clothes and the sizing issues. I long for "speaking English."

    Looking forward to your adventures down under.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Laura! I have never met you, but my husband and I are friends of Matt. I have seen pictures of your little girl on his facebook page.

    Anyway. We have a blog too! www.btwilli.blogspot.com

    Good luck with the adjustment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so awesome you in australia! i move there next year after we leave alaska. super excited! your close enough to visit with veronica too! cant wait to read more about your australia life! good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad you like it there, keep the pictures coming. like your house and car. just think you can cook and bake all you want. Andi is so pretty, bet she is happy there. love to all 3, kiss Andi for me and tell her it is from meme.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I would HAVE to buy coffee at whatever price and do without something else! So have you caved in yet? (I give you 48 hours!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the pictures, the flowers are something else, love you 3.

    ReplyDelete